Do you have a burning question about holistic therapies that needs answering? In this section is an answer to some of the most common questions that are asked and a section on Aftercare Advice.
How do holistic therapies work?
Holistic or Complementary Therapies work with your body, encouraging it to heal itself through gentle work on its energy vibrations, but without the uncomfortable side effects that many experience with medication. Note: holistic therapies should never be seen as an ‘alternative’ to conventional medicine or medication and the advice of a GP should be sought prior to treatment if you have an unstable or serious medical condition.
Do you have to believe in holistic therapies in order for them to work?
No you don’t although an open mind and willingness to relax and make any lifestyle changes needed can accelerate the healing process. Each one of us has an innate healing ability and holistic therapies can help us access that energy and put us in touch with our inner selves, re-energising and re-balancing all areas.
Can I be cured of my health problems?
Holistic therapies must never be seen as miracle cures; they simply encourage the body to heal itself more effectively. Remember that your holistic practitioner is not a doctor and cannot prescribe, diagnose or claim to cure any medical condition. You may experience a decrease in stress levels and beneficial changes to your health and well-being as a result of the treatments.
Who are the therapies suitable for you?
Anyone can enjoy a relaxing holistic treatment. For example:
- Babies, toddlers and children
- Women who need some time out, perhaps those experiencing fertility problems
- Anyone who is suffering from stress at work or in their personal life
- The elderly/OAPs
- Those coping with long-term health conditions e.g. Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, ME, Chronic Fatigue, Arthritis
- Those who feel the need for a bit of relaxation, rebalancing and ‘me’ time
What information will you need me to provide?
At your initial visit you will be asked to give contact details and complete a consultation form and disclaimer. This provides a vital overview of your background, health issues and lifestyle choices; it is also necessary for insurance purposes. All information will be kept strictly confidential. Please have any details of medication handy plus the name and address of your GP.
Do I need to remove any clothing?
You will remain clothed with the exception of Swedish massage (down to underwear) and PHYSIOKEY therapy (remove outer garments as required). For Reflexology you will just need to remove your shoes and socks. NOTE: Underwear must be worn at all times.
Are there conditions that will prevent me from having a treatment?
Yes, there are some conditions or ‘contraindications’ which mean you won’t be able to have a treatment at this time. These depend on the specific treatment but may include:
- Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism
- Severe Cellulitis
- Severe fungal infections/uncovered verrucas
- Infectious skin conditions
- Areas of recent scars, cuts or heavy bruising
- Recent fractures or sprains
- Recent head/neck injury and haemorrhage
- Being under the influence of drink or drugs
- Infectious Diseases including colds and flu
- Imminent medical tests
- Recent operations (ok after sign-off from hospital)
- During the first trimester of pregnancy, especially if there is a history of miscarriage
You may wish to obtain doctor’s consent before treatment if you have any of the following conditions (if unstable or newly diagnosed):
- Heart condition
- Very high or low blood pressure
- Arthritis / Osteoporosis
How can I get the most from my session?
During the treatment it is advisable to close your eyes and relax as this way you will gain more from the healing. At the end of the session you will be asked to take a few deep breaths. This will help you to feel energised again, increase your oxygen level and also signifies the end of the healing.General Advice:
- Follow a healthy fresh food diet where possible
- Regulate or reduce your alcohol, cigarette and caffeine intake as this helps the body in its detoxification process
- Find some time between treatments for rest and relaxation.
Please note that cancellations within 24 hours will incur a £10 charge.
- The practitioner reserves the right to refuse treatment to an individual.
- Marie only offers the treatments provided by a professional holistic therapist so please do not offend her by asking for anything extra.
The body keeps reacting to the treatment for about 24 hours afterwards. Therefore, to obtain the greatest benefit, please try to avoid undue stress, excessive driving, exercise, alcohol or heavy meals after a treatment. It is best to drink plenty of water or herbal teas, to rest if possible and eat a light meal. You may feel tired or drowsy but this is a natural reaction and you should feel energised after a good night’s sleep. Other possible symptoms may include headaches, nausea, increased urination or bowel movements and perspiration but these should clear up within 24 hours.
If you are diabetic or on any strong medication then it is advisable to monitor e.g. blood sugar levels before and after treatments as sometimes minor fluctuations or changes to your normal levels can occur. During the treatment of chronic conditions, occasionally a healing crisis may occur (experienced as a complete lack of energy and malaise). This arises if the body is getting rid of toxic energy too rapidly. If you are worried that you have had an adverse reaction to the treatment please try not to panic but increase your fluid intake and contact your therapist and/or GP if you feel this is necessary.
If you have any further questions about the treatments at Magenta Therapy then please contact Marie via the contact page.